CRON on RedHat not working as expected

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf CRON on RedHat not working as expected

• Creator
    Topic
    Todd Horst
    Participant

We are moving from aix to redhat. I converted a shell script with only minor changes and now its working as expected. But when i put it in cron it wont run. I know its because of the environment cron runs in, but cannot find out exactly what to do:

This works on aix

Code:

0,15,30,45 * * * * setroot && $HCIROOT/usercmds/intmon.sh 2>&1

Although I’ve tried a million things, this is what i currently have on RedHat

Code:

SHELL=/bin/ksh

PATH=/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/scripts:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/contrib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/sbin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/dbms/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/java/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/usercmds:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/home/hci/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/scripts:/bin:/home/hci/bin

LIBPATH=/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/java/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/java/bin/classic:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/lib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/lib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/dbms/lib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/lib/Connect7.1/lib:/usr/lib:/lib:/shlib:/usr/shlib

CL_INSTALL_DIR=/qdxiprod/cis6.1
    ROOT=$CL_INSTALL_DIR/integrator

MAILTO=thorst2@wellspan.org
    HCIROOT=/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator
    KSHLIB=/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/kshlib
    HCIVERSION=6.1

* * * * * eval $HCIROOT/sbin/hcisetenv -root ksh $HCIROOT physician1 && $KSHLIB/setroot $HCIROOT && $KSHLIB/setsite physician1 && showroot

As you can see, our default is bash, and i switch that to ksh.

I tried to mimic the path that is there when i log in as hci

Set the mailto so that i receive the logs via email

When i run this i get the following:

Code:

unset HCIREMOTE;
    unset HCIMASTERSITE;
    HCIROOT=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator’; export HCIROOT; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/java/lib/i386:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/java/lib/i386/server:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/lib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/lib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/dbms/lib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/lib/Connect7.1.2/lib:/usr/lib:/lib:/shlib:/usr/shlib’; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH; HCISITEDIR=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1′; export HCISITEDIR; MANPATH=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/man:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/man:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/dbms/man::’; export MANPATH; DBDPATH=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/exec/databases’; export DBDPATH; HCISITE=’physician1′; export HCISITE; HCILICFILE=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/vers/license.dat’; export HCILICFILE; QUOVADX_INSTALL_DIR=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1′; export QUOVADX_INSTALL_DIR; TCL_LIBRARY=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/lib/tcl8.5′; export TCL_LIBRARY; HCIVERSION=’6.1′; export HCIVERSION; unset HCIMASTERSITEDIR; DBFPATH=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/exec/databases’; export DBFPATH; DEV_NULL=’/dev/null’; export DEV_NULL; ODBCINI=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/lib/Connect7.1.2/odbc.ini’; export ODBCINI; DBTMP=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/exec/databases’; export DBTMP; LOCKMGR=’lm_cis6.1_physician1′; export LOCKMGR; PATH=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/scripts:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/contrib:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/sbin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/dbms/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/java/bin:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/usercmds:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/home/hci/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:.:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/scripts:/bin:/home/hci/bin’; export PATH; CLASSPATH=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/java_uccs:.:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/clgui/lib/cljava.jar:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/java_uccs:/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/lib/java/DBLookup.jar:’; export CLASSPATH; TK_LIBRARY=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/lib/tk8.5′; export TK_LIBRARY; TCLX_LIBRARY=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/tcl/lib/tclx8.4′; export TCLX_LIBRARY; DBTAF=’/qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator/physician1/exec/databases/rdm.taf’; export DBTAF; HCI root is /qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator No HCI site

The key is at the end

Code:

HCI root is /qdxiprod/cis6.1/integrator No HCI site

Can anyone educate me, I know it must be simpler than all this.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Keith McLeod
      Participant

Here is what I use on RH.

Terry Kellum
      Participant

What I have is that the first argument to cron (after the times) is the user context of the program to be run:

30 05 * * * hci /usr/local/bin/CycleSomeThreads.sh >> /var/log/cyclethreads.log

Todd Horst
      Participant

Terry:

Im guessing you are in the root cron, which is why you need to specify the user.

That certainly is cleaner but im not sure if i can swing that with my server group.

Steve Carter
      Participant

Not sure if this is the same on Redhat, but on AIX I source hci’s profile for each cronjob.

0 1 * * * (. /home/hci/.profile ; scriptToRun.tcl) >/dev/null 2>&1

Hope this helps.

Steve

Todd Horst
      Participant

Thanks guys!

Here is what I ended up with.

Code:

#Define a variable with the command to execute to gain context
      HCIBASE=/qdxiprod/cis6.1
      NEWUP=’export CL_INSTALL_DIR=$HCIBASE;eval `$HCIBASE/integrator/sbin/hcisetenv -root ksh $HCIBASE/integrator`’

* * * * * eval $NEWUP;showroot

By leaving off the site, it simply picks up the default site, which is fine for me, and is better in case sites change over time.

You could add `SHELL=/bin/ksh` at the top so that you dont need to prefix with ksh, but i found this wasnt needed.

Todd Horst
      Participant

slight tweak, i thought it was working, but it wasnt. This however is.

Code:

#Define the variable with the command to execute to gain context
      HCIBASE=/qdxiprod/cis6.1
      NEWUP=’export CL_INSTALL_DIR=$HCIBASE;source /home/hci/.profile;’

#Start of cron commands
      # . COMMAND – this will run command in the current context. If you exclude this you
      #             will start a new shell with no context. If you use ‘exit’ while IN context it will stop the rest of the cron line from executing.

#This works
      #* * * * * eval $NEWUP; showroot; setsite physician1; showroot;. $HCIROOT/usercmds/setTest; showroot;
      0,15,30,45 * * * * eval $NEWUP;. $HCIROOT/usercmds/intmon.sh 2>&1;

Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

Hi all,

We are on redhat as well and have some cronjobs running under user hci. We had some problems as well and solved it like this.

Here an example of one of our cronjobs:

Code:

55 23 * * * /home/hci/sethcienv daily_housekeeping_cloverleaf > /dev/null

The script ‘sethcienv’ checks whether cloverleaf is running on that node/server and if so sets the environment:

Code:

if [[ -d /prod/cloverleaf/sites60 ]]
      then
        . /etc/profile
        . /home/hci/.profile
       # script uitvoeren
       echo “+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++”
       $*
      fi
      exit 0

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

Todd Horst
      Participant

Nice. I like how you’re including /etc/.profile instead of exporting cl_install_dir. Here is my new newup variable:

Code:

NEWUP=’. /etc/profile;. /home/hci/.profile’

Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

Glad you got something out of it. And I can’t take the credits for it: I have 2 colleagues who had some fun figuring this out.

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

Russ Ross
      Participant

I source my .profile to set my cron environment, too.

In fact, I created a .profile.cron because some stuff can be problematic when the assumption is the login session is interactive.

If you have stuff in your .profile that assumes an interactive display like an xterm then here is one technique I have used to help with that.

In this section from my .profile.local.end file shows how I only set the title on my xterm if running interactive:

Code:

#————————————————-
           # make sure running interactive and DISPLAY is set
           # before trying to set xterm title on active node
           #————————————————-

tty -s
           exit_status=$?
           # exit_status = 0 for interactive and 1 for non-interactive

if [ “$exit_status” == “0” ] && [ “$DISPLAY” != “” ]; then

# make sure the xterm title and icon is updated with the current information
              #
              # examples of how to do this
              #
              #     perl -e ‘print “c[];@ARGVa”‘   “what you want to show on xterm title bar”
              # or
              #     print -n “33]0;what you want to show on xterm title bar and icon07”

AorB=`hostname | sed ‘s/.*(.)$/1/’`
              if [[ “$AorB” = “a” ]]; then
                 print -n “33]0;TEST Cloverleaf 6.0 ( $SITE ) HA active/primary node-$AorB running on `show_physical_box.ksh`07”
              else
                 print -n “33]0;TEST Cloverleaf 6.0 ( $SITE ) HA active/seconday node-$AorB running on `show_physical_box.ksh`07”
              fi
           fi

Here is the contenst of show_physical_box.ksh in case anyone is curious:

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

# Begin Module Header ==============================================================================
      #
      #——
      # Name:
      #——
      #
      # show_physical_box.ksh
      #
      #———
      # Purpose:
      #———
      #
      # Echo to standard out the physical box name you are currently running on
      #
      #———
      # History:
      #———
      #
      # 2012.12.14 Russ Ross
      #          – wrote intial version
      #
      # 2014.01.03 Russ Ross
      #          – added entries for DR boxes and calification if a box is unlicensed
      #
      # End of Module Header =============================================================================

physical_box=”UNKNOWN”
      machine_ID=`uname -a | awk ‘{print $NF}’`

#—————————————
      # CPB-5A (P740_dcpiplpar5a_00F666384C00)
      #—————————————

if [[ $machine_ID == “00F666384C00″ ]] ; then physical_box=”CPB-P740-5A” ; fi

#—————————————
      # CPB-5B (P740_dcpiplpar5b_00F6665E4C00)
      #—————————————

if [[ $machine_ID == “00F6665E4C00″ ]] ; then physical_box=”CPB-P740-5B” ; fi

#—————————————
      # 1MC-6A (P740_dcpiplpar6a_00F70E284C00)
      #—————————————

if [[ $machine_ID == “00F70E284C00″ ]] ; then physical_box=”1MC-P740-6A” ; fi

#—————————————
      # 1MC-6B (P740_dcpiplpar6b_00F70E274C00) – NOT LICENSED!!!
      #—————————————

if [[ $machine_ID == “00F70E274C00″ ]] ; then physical_box=”1MC-P740-6B (unlicensed)” ; fi

#—————————————
      # DCG-7A (P740_ddpiplpar7a_00F807534C00)
      #—————————————

if [[ $machine_ID == “00F807534C00″ ]] ; then physical_box=”DCG-P740-7A” ; fi

#—————————————
      # DCG-7B (P740_ddpiplpar7b_00F807544C00) – NOT LICENSED!!!
      #—————————————

if [[ $machine_ID == “00F807544C00″ ]] ; then physical_box=”DCG-P740-7B (unlicensed)” ; fi

echo $physical_box

For some reason was not able to add attachment of sample xterm with title set so here is what shows on the title of the xterm I’m looking at now:

TEST Cloverleaf 6.0 (test_russ) HA active/primary node-a running on CPB-P740-5B

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags